This is the easiest roast chicken recipe that you will ever make. Roasting a whole chicken is one of my go to easy meals. A roasted chicken looks very impressive but the secret is that it does not take much work at all.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I make a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure here.
Easy Roast Chicken
Setting down a whole roasted chicken on the table for dinner looks super impressive. I promise you though that roasting a delicious chicken is one of the simplest meals that you can make. In fact, roasted chicken is what I consider to be one of my go to easy meals.
I love it not just for the simplicity but also because for my family there is always enough chicken left over to turn into another meal. Plus, I will use all of the bones to make bone broth. Honestly, roast chicken is really just the meal that keeps on giving.
Preparing Your Ingredients
You will need:
1 whole chicken
1 head of garlic
1 bunch rosemary
1 bunch thyme
2 Tbsp butter
salt and pepper to taste
baking sheet with a rack
Preheat your oven to 350°F
Remove your chicken from the plastic wrapping and take out any of the giblets that were left inside. Depending on where you purchased your chicken the giblets may be in a plastic pouch inside the chicken or they may just be in the chicken cavity by themselves. Occasionally, I will get a chicken that has the neck stored inside the cavity as well.
I save the giblets and neck to make bone broth or you can dispose of them.
Place your whole chicken on a rack on your baking sheet and pat dry with a paper towel.
Simple Garlic Hack
To prepare the garlic I have a super simple hack.
- Chop both ends off of the head of garlic
- Put the entire head of garlic in a mason jar and screw on the lid
- Shake the jar like crazy. Release any frustration that you may have
- Ta Da! All of the garlic cloves have now been separated and peeled
Seasoning The Chicken
Cut the lemon in half and then put the lemon, rosemary, thyme, and all of the garlic into the cavity of the whole chicken.
Next, use your hands to rub the butter all over the outside of the chicken. The warmth from your hands will soften up the butter and help it to coat the chicken all over.
Finally, sprinkle on salt and pepper to taste.
Roast The Chicken
Put your chicken into oven and let it cook for approximately 20-25 minutes per pound.
The internal temperature of the chicken should be 165° before serving.
Serve And Enjoy
I like to serve my easy roast chicken with some roasted vegetables, a side salad, or sometimes a baked potato.
If you try this super simple recipe be sure to leave me a comment and let me know how you enjoyed it.
Shop This Post
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 lemon, cut in half
- 1 head of garlic, cloves peeled and separated
- 1 bunch rosemary
- 1 bunch thyme
- 2 Tbsp butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- baking sheet with a rack
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Remove giblets from chicken cavity
- Place chicken on baking sheet with rack
- Pat chicken dry with a paper towel
- Put the rosemary, thyme, lemon, and garlic into the chicken cavity
- Cover outside of chicken with butter
- Sprinkle outside of chicken with salt and pepper to taste
- Roast in oven for 20-25 minutes per pound until the internal temperature of the chicken is 165°